Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Let's talk about HAIR



OK...all you readers who are about to bring home your little ones from Africa and are looking for some helpful tips on hair...listen up. Well, seriously, I am NO expert on hair but I have a little info to share.

Black hair is so very different from non-black hair. It doesn't need to be washed as often (only every 1-3 weeks is all it needs) and it needs some moisture and shine to be added to it daily. Just like most adoptive mommies, I have a cabinet full of different products that I have tried on the boy's hair. Every thing from Panteen for Women of Color to all natural hair butter have been tried out on my little guys. First off, let me share we try not to go out when the boys have frizzy hair. I work hard at having them look good and well cared for so I often apply new lotion to their hair and skin if we are out and about.
Here is Tyce before his hair has been done for the morning. Lots of fuzzy fly aways.

We have not cut their hair since we have been home. If you pull out the curls, it is about 1-2 inches long. Tyce has tighter curls.
Now for some pics after I have "done" his hair. I spritz with water, then add a little leave in conditioner and this picture was after I added some "Second Life Hair Butter" (visit this site here).

Of all the products I have tried so far, this Second Life Hair Butter is my favorite. I love that it is natural. I really hate the idea of applying chemicals on my little guy's hair every day. I do his hair each morning and then again after bath.

I have found with most products, I like it for a few days and then their hair starts to frizzy up again. A lot of products have alcohol in them and that dries out the hair. You need to find something that adds shine and moisture back into their hair.

Just today I tried some twists in Tyce's hair. Oh my word...I love it.
I just grabbed some hair and started to twist. Isn't it just adorable???


Look at that grin. What a happy little guy.

I am a big fan of the natural curls on the boys. I have also learned it is just easier to not comb or pick through their hair. I just use my fingers to style and work in the hair lotion. It can be a hassle to fix their hair every day, but I just don't have the hear to cut it yet.

17 comments:

  1. I heart twists too. My son's hair does it all by itself, love it! And I too do not have it in me to cut it. I am constantly amazed by the compliments he gets on his hair, especially from men, who would have thought? You may find that their hair grows in thicker in time and the combing/detangling needs will change as it does. For us, detangling got incredibly easy with more length- once again, who would have thought? Those boys are looking fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cris ~ I love it!! All the pictures and styles look great on him. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to check out the hair butter. I've been using Hair Milk by Carol's Daughter which works well for moisture, shine and curl definition. Unfortunately over the weekend I discovered it's been building up on our little guy's scalp for the past 4 months. Yuck! I spent the weekend pulling it out. He didn't mind the scalp massage tho. Tyson's hair is lookin good. You did a great job with the twists. He looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love twisty curls, too. I remember reading Anne LaMott's account of beginning to wear her hair in a natural, twisted style (she is Caucasian, but her hair texture is...not). Very interesting.

    Whatever you do with Tyce's hair, he always looks adorable with that happy happy smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing this! i love the twists!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. I love how he is ALWAYS smiling. Oh, the things you're learning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They always look so adorable! Thanks for sharing. You know I will have lots of questions when we get our little guy home.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sis-in-law has adopted two african american girls and it took her a while to fully figure out their hair--when to wash, condition, etc. She has done the cutest thing with their hair now and it took some time to get it started but it is adorable and can grow. It's called "locks" and is usually done on boys but it's not uncommon for it to be done on girls. You've probably seen pictures on my blog, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the twist. thanks for the tips. i am sure i will hit you up for some more advice once we get our little one>

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, i love the twists...too cute...kj

    ReplyDelete
  11. The twists look really, really good!!! I've never tried adding beeswax to my shea/coconut hair butter....hmm...something new to try!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. where's the "like" button ??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw sweet!! Hair consumes a good portion of my waitlist thoughts! :)

    http://sarahunderhill.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. His hair looks GREAT! I'm a little jealous and a little humbled that your son's hair looks so good. I seem to be so busy and I'll forget to moisturize Grace's hair, and then I'll be snuggling her and realize how dry it is! You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is just too cute...hair and all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness! I absolutely ADORE the twists!!!! SOOOO Cute! I can't wait to do that with our little guy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Cris, the twists are ADORABLE!! Love them! I spritz with a mixture of distilled water & lavendar oil, comb, then use Alaffia Shea & Coconut lotion as a leave-in. I also rub coconut oil into her scalp everyday and co-wash 1x/week or so with Aubrey Organics moisturizing conditioner. So far I like my routine but I'm anxious to try the hair butter. Thx for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete