Sunday, March 28, 2010

Adoption Travel Journal - Day 4 - Feb 22, 10 Monday

We woke the boys up early so we could be ready for our embassy appointment. I rubbed their backs to wake them up. Fikadu woke up, looked at me and smiled. Both boys wanted to get their shoes right away (something they did every day at first). We got dressed and ate breakfast at the hotel buffet. Abush ate bread with peanut butter and Fikadu ate a lentil pocket.

The whole group met together and drove to the embassy appointment which is across Addis (about an hour to get there). We rode in a bus so there was room for our whole group. It is a shame you can't bring any electronics on this trip because the drive through town is so interesting. People everywhere, lots of traffic, tons of cars, buses and vans, but NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS. We also noticed a lack of motorcycles or scooters (unlike India or Honduras).

We waited awhile for all the families to have their appointments. After going through security you wait in a waiting room or stand outside and listen for your name to be called. Once it is your turn, you head upstairs and go to the service window and answer the questions they ask. Almaz is there if you need anything but it was smooth sailing for us. We brought snacks and toys for the boys. On the ride back Abush fell asleep on me and slept through lunch (good thing I had the sling for him).

We ordered french fries and pasta to eat. Fikadu didn't want to eat but once he tried it, he ate it up. The families all met in the "ball room" in the afternoon to play a little bit. The big kids played while the parents looked at some pictures of the southern region or visited. Abush really shuts down emotionally when we are with people or at meals. But once we are back in the room, he jabbers, plays, squeals and giggles. Fikadu played a bit with me. I wrote his name on some paper and he copied the letters. We also colored and played with stickers. He didn't like when he made a mistake and tried to erase it (too bad it was a pen).

We were so tired so we went to bed early. The boys slept just fine but again no sleep for Chuck or I. Not sure if it is jet lag or just adjustment. There is so much for all of us to process through. For both the boys and for us. Each of our families in our group are having their own challenges. Either sickness, not connecting, not eating, not sleeping...all the things you know are part of the grieving process. As I was up most of each night, I spent my time praying for our group.

Dear Sweet Peas,

Today was the last hurdle to jump here in Ethiopia for our adoption. It is a blessing for us to be here in your native country and experience all the wonderful Ethiopian people. Each one we see is so beautiful. Makes me wonder what you each will look like when you grow up. Handsome for sure.

Love, Mom


  1. I so love your illustrative word in explaining the scenes. I am right there with you! I'm sure it is therapeutic to relive and retell this story. How wonderful for the boys to have this detail of their adoption process.

  2. Living it again...through your words...
    Cris, we have had a bit of crazy but are a bit clearer now--I'm dying to see you--contact me if I could pop by for just a bit this week?
    We are in and out all day tomorrow but I'm going to try to get through on the phone tomorrow too--let me know if there's a time that's not good for you.
    PRAYING so for you.
    Much love, Gillian

  3. Our adoptions were always - how to say? "on our own". I can't imagine what it would have been like to have otheer families there. My first thought is that just being there with Craig was wonderful, like a honeymoon with our child. And this post makes me think that we were lucky not to have other families to make "comparisons" with. Yet, as you say, other families might offer support.

    I do think that the presence of others would have made the entire experience really different.