Thursday, March 4, 2010

Home together for one week

Tomorrow marks our one week mark of being home together. I have been busy with...well...taking care of my kiddos. Not just my new ones, but the girls too. My job just doubled in duty and difficulty and I am determined to handle it with grace.

All in all, we don't have much to complain about. I have to say we are adjusting pretty well. Some bumps in the road, but we are focusing on all the blessings.

So let me list some blessings.

  • The boys are eating. They are not sticking their noses up at anything. They are proving to be good eaters and have healthy appetites. Tatum Abush gobbles up his food before anyone else sits down to the meal. We are sticking with lots of bananas and bread, cereal and veggies. Neither one will drink milk as of yet.
  • The boys are sleeping. Both are sleeping through the night. Both are taking a nap each afternoon (and so is mommy). Neither one is too difficult to put down for rest and each one lets me sing them to sleep as I pat their back
  • They understand some basic words. I can get most of my point across with what I need to say and they are understanding me. Tyson has his head shaking for yes and no mixed up, but he can understand a lot of what we have to say. Even our little man understands "no" when we say it.
  • We are seeing some early signs of attaching. Something we pray about the most is attaching and bonding. Yes, it is too early to know if they are really attaching yet, but we are seeing good signs so far. Both boys really have come to adore Chuck and love when he is around. They let us comfort them if they are sad and the little one is reaching up for me when he wants me to hold him.

Like I said, I want to focus on the positives. Each day has it's own struggles, but we are dealing with those moment by moment. It is hard when they fuss or cry or pout when they don't get their way. That is all part of living in a child driven environment like an orphanage. We are working on building trust and getting the attunement down before we work on discipline.

Staying focused on the goal has helped. Remembering what we are dealing with and the unique circumstances makes for unusual parenting for us, but we are flexible and determined to do what is best for the boys in the long run.

My time on the computer is so very limited and I am trying to stay on top of chores and kids and letting that be my focus. Hope to blog more when I can.



Dear Sweet Peas,

I am grateful that I can see bits and pieces of your personalities come out more and more each day. I love who God has made you to be and I look forward to seeing how He uses you both to do great things.

Love, Mom

10 comments:

  1. Regardless if you are writing more or less, I am still thinking about you and keeping you in my daily prayers. I support focusing on the positives and blessings. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    Milk isn't that great for us, so maybe the boys are better off not starting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear that adjusting is happening. great to focus on the positives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This posting has such simple,loving,humble wisdom in it. My heart was blessed and warmed by your expression, Cris. Truly you all are living out a legacy that will be retold in the generations of your family.
    Much Love, Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are doing great. Remember in Ethiopia, raising the eyebrows is yes, and a shoulder shrug or thrust is "no" You are blessed that they are napping and that their little bodies feel secure enough to fall asleep. That's a really good sign. Many times these children have a hard time relaxing enough to stay asleep. Their little bodies are on high alert and tend to wake very easily. Falling into a deep sleep means losing control so they fight it. As I've said before, don't forget to recharge YOUR batteries. You are pouring yourself out and need refreshing. Praying God's refreshment over you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ally - I didn't know that for the yes and no. All those little things help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praising God for all the "good stuff". Continuing to pray for you with the unspoken "hard stuff". God is evident in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing - I really appreciate your honesty and your focus on the positive. What a great testimony of how I want our trip home with our kiddos to be.

    May you feel God's loving arms surround you today as you go through the day-to-day.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing great...and with such a positive attitude that honors others and blesses your sweet kiddos (all 4 of them!!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have loved seeing all your pictures here and on FB. I always knew Chuck would be a great Dad. I love hearing his perspective. However, maybe because I'm a mom, I can feel it through yours. Keep your strength up Cris. I will keep praying for you!
    Cassie in Iowa (Drum Stick is my dh:) )

    ReplyDelete